Thursday, April 15, 2010

Thinking 'Bout Thinking 'Bout Something

After a week or two of thoughtful planning and discussion about the topics and deep philisophical debates we will be having in this blog, I'm kicking things off by posting a Hanson video.

Yes, that Hanson.

I should hate these kids.  They tricked me years ago into buying the dreadful and nails-on-chalkboard effect inducing single "MmmmBop" by getting the Dust Brothers to produce their debute album.  The Dust Bros. had created magic in the late eighties with their groundbreaking sampling and hip-hopping on my all-time favorite album ever, "Paul's Boutique", and re-created the magic on Beck's "Odelay". At the turn of the century they put out the soundtrack to "Fight Club"- some of those tracks still give me goose bumps.  But somewhere in the middle of the nineties they signed on to have their names on the Hanson album.  Did they WANT to destroy their cred?  Was there some sort of goal in mind by attaching their name to a bunch of kids putting out crap pop?  If the Dust Bros. had produced 100 albums, I'd understand wanting to make some money off of talented kids.  But they have limited themselves to MOSTLY great projects, I just can't understand that blemish.

But I digress.  Hanson has released a new video today.  And I have every reason to crap all over it, too.  Just look at the way they have blasphemied Ray Charles AND the Blues Brothers in one swoop.  See how they have used minorities, children and a hippie or two to win you over.  Tell me how this song stands out from 1,000 other "feel good" songs.  Try convincing me that the actual talent these kids have isn't overshadowed STILL by their cuteness.

But you know what?  God bless you, Hanson brothers.  You really look like you're having fun.  You're still here making music in an industry and world that tried to knock you down.  Most of those people dancing in your shoot are actual hometown fans.  And there's something about that tambourine player, hmmm.... 

So here it is.  Don't say I didn't warn you.


Thinking 'Bout Somethin'

HANSON | MySpace Music Videos

1 comment:

  1. There's no bathroom and no sink! What's the point of living?

    ReplyDelete