Monday, January 30, 2012

Primitive Mythology (The Masks of God)

1959 - 1968
Photobucket
Any number of volumes may list Joseph Campbell in their footnotes and references and influences. Pop culture knows him best as the man who influenced George Lucas to write Luke Skywalker's story as within the context of the traditional mythology described in The Hero with a Thousand Faces. This book as well had been mentioned in the multiple interviews of Campbell and Lucas as influential, and I saw the Masks of God series listed elsewhere in my readings, so I knew I had to put it on my list.
Photobucket
WHEW! This book took forever to read! As fascinating (and repulsive) Campbell's observations on primitive mythology are, I could only read a few pages at a time before falling asleep or putting it aside for easier entertainment. I won't deny that parts of this book were simply above and beyond my intellect and archeological education, but a textbook (even an extremely well-written textbook) is still a textbook. I can't recommend this book to anyone but those pursuing a study of these themes as a career.
Photobucket
Still, the book is full of all kinds of nuggets- or rather, seeds- for the development of mythology and modern fiction. While this volume concerns itself primarily with primitive mythology (i.e. tribal ceremonies) there is still a good deal of mysticism and other witchcrafticism that is still around today, if only in the realm of fantasy and not religious belief.
Photobucket
I should probably read the rest of the series and Campbell's other works. I have every reason to believe that Book 1 is the most boring of the lot. But I probably won't. The years I listed above is the time Joe spent researching and writing this book- the contents completely take place before the time of recorded history. So it's a bit of a headache in terms of my timeline. Maybe I'll revisit Joe when I finish reading my future timeline / sci-fi booklist- which will probably coincide with when I retire in my sixties and have grandchildren.
Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment