Wednesday, February 8, 2012

What makes me think.

What makes me think? This is a key element to communicating with womenfolk.


I'm not referring to dendrons or grey matter.   I'm talkin' 'bout inspiration and motivation and warm fuzzy shit.

Does life experience or cultural norms play a significant role in the underlying processes that perpetuate our thoughts? Are my ideas just the common denomination of emotional whims, hormonal responses and the ambient temperature of the room? How often are thoughts the end result of a bunch of autonomic bodily functions?  Can a fart inspire?

Anyway….it’s clear that I need to consider the genesis of a thought before communicating it to my wife. Simple computational data responses are not useful info for her. Crunched numbers and paths of least resistance do not usually give her the type of input she needs to move forward.  She needs to know WHY I think what I think.   She's like a math teacher demanding that I show my work.

“What makes you think you can say something like that?”, she asked.

What makes me think? I never thought of that before.  I've always just taken my ideas for granted.   Until now I've managed to think my way through life in an organic, unforced manner.   I've never questioned why spherical objects feel like a disingenuous expression, that I prefer spumoni ice cream served in a metal bowl or that sock, sock, shoe, shoe, starting with my right foot, is a better order of operations than starting with my left foot or going sock, shoe, sock, shoe.

But this is exactly what my wife needs to know.   Why do I feel the way I do?   This reverse engineering request is tripping me up.   Going backwards to prove my work is putting a kink in my mental flow.   Questioning the thought process is influencing the outcomes.  

Last night I expressed my preference for the lusty whores featured in the Game Of Thrones series over the Cylons on Battle Star Galactica.  

“What makes you think you can say something like that?”, she asked.

I don't know why.   I really don't.  Once I considered the origin of my opinion....evaluating my literary leanings, weighing my experiences with fantasy vs. sci-fi and then traversing all the way back to my adolescent masturbatory fantasies....I lost interest in the idea and started thinking about Mexican food.

Chubby Middle Earth women are sexier than sleek modern robot temptresses.   And fajitas are delicious.   This is just the truth right now.   And I can't really explain why I think I can say something like that.





No comments:

Post a Comment